Saturday, October 2, 2010

"Pop Culture Gone Wild" - Valenti

As with the previous article by Valenti, I found the language to be refreshingly entertaining. Sometimes its nice to have a break from the scientific language that is often used in articles that we read. At the same time, I think that those articles have a very different value than what is presented by Valenti.
What I find most interesting about her writing is the way that ideas are presented. She often uses such straightforward language that is seems illogical not to agree with her. To be honest, I generally agree with her viewpoints anyway and I like the quotes and events that she uses to support her ideas. There are times, however, when I feel that she is misinterpreting what is said in the quotes, or being too aggressive with her point and essentially I don't agree with her argument simply because of her strategy, not because of the argument itself.
In this article, the idea that Valenti presented that societies expectations are mutually exclusive. It is impossible to be a virgin and sexually experienced. In our society it is impossible to be sexually liberated but not a slut. This is a great argument because it is present throughout the female experience. It is prevalent in society and we encounter it daily. I strongly agree with the idea that, as women, we should recognize where our decisions come from. Valenti remarks that she loves makeup, and she knows that that is because society says makeup makes her more beautiful, but she still loves it. I think that is an excellent point. It isn't about whether we do or do not like something, or whether we do or do not choose to do something; the important thing is that we recognize why we like what we like and why we do what we do. Sometimes in questioning what society expects of us, we do exactly the opposite as a way to rebel, but the reason behind it all is still the same. For example, when I was in high school I stopped shaving because I didn't think I needed to just because I was a woman. But after years of not shaving, I realized that I liked how shaving felt. I liked having smooth legs and, to be honest, I felt prettier. I know that the reason that i feel prettier with shaved legs is because society tells me that that's pretty. I realized that I liked shaving my legs, but when I don't feel like doing it, it's ok and I shouldn't be ashamed about it because it's my choice whether or not I do it. As a feminist, choosing to shave should be as much of a "liberating" choice as choosing to shave.
One doubt that I have about the article is Valenti's analysis of the quote from Janice Crouse. She only presents us with a relatively short quote, so maybe her reaction is to a longer speech given by Crouse, but I do not come to the same conclusions that she does regarding the quote. She argues that this quote says that girls are putting themselves in danger if they are out having fun and socializing. I read the quote as a warning that society is encouraging girls to put themselves in dangerous situations. At the same time, I don't agree that the solution lies in recommending that girls do not engage in this behavior. I also don't believe that in a world where girls don't go out there would be no crime against them. I do believe it is valid that Crouse brings up the influence of society's expectations on the behavior of girls and how expectations can contrast starkly with reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment